Internet Marketing Dilemma - Improving Your Double Opt-In RatesBy Terri Zwierzynski
You know that having a double opt-in* process for your newsletter/ezine list is a "best practice" in permission based email marketing. Several reasons:
- less chance of being called a spammer by someone who doesn't remember filling in the form (or because someone else filled out the form with their email address);
- fewer bad email addresses in your list;
- some mailing list delivery services require it!
BUT--sometimes your subscribers don't click that link they receive from you in the confirmation email. And so you lose 10, 20, even 50% of your "subscribers". Arghh!
How can you improve your opt-in rates?
Generally, the more compelling and relevant your "offer" is to folks, and the easier it is for them to complete the process, the better opt-in rate you will enjoy.
- Have some really strong copy that describes your ezine and the benefits they will receive.
- Provide an incentive for folks to subscribe. A free ebook, ecourse, etc.
- Remind folks that they must confirm (click the link in the confirmation email) to receive the incentive. You can do this on the signup or thank you page.
- Help them make sure they receive the confirmation email, by offering a page explaining how to add your ezine to their whitelist.
- Show them how to confirm. A snapshot of the confirmation email, with the confirmation link circled, is one way to make it crystal-clear.
- Make sure your confirmation email matches the description of your ezine. Use the same wording, etc. Nothing will reduce your confirmation rates like using the generic confirmation email text!
Get more marketing and small business tips for Solo Entrepreneurs
*Double opt-in defined:
- new subscriber fills out a form on your site
- your list management software sends a confirmation email with a special coded link
- new subscriber clicks the link
- subscriber is added to your list
Single opt-in eliminates steps 2 and 3.
About the expert(s):
Terri Z is
The Solo-CEO: a self-employed internet marketing consultant to solo entrepreneurs, freelance writer, and grassroots promoter of the
solo entrepreneur lifestyle. She runs www.Solo-E.com, the resource website for solo entrepreneurs which attracts thousands of visitors monthly from over 100 countries on six continents.
Sign up for our popular ecourse, "25+ Entrepreneur Experts ~ 350+ Years of Wisdom ~ Their Must-Know Advice: Priceless "
© Copyright 2008, Terri Zwierzynski