Time management tips are like puzzle pieces. It's how you put them together that counts.
If you find yourself drained halfway through your day, despite your best efforts, this fresh approach may make all the difference. To stay resilient, relaxed and nimble, experiment with Time Energy.
When I speak of Time Energy, I'm referring to your full constellation of strengths, working in unison to keep you proactive.
Think of the pleasure of engaging in an activity you love. Your muscle groups effortlessly move in harmony. Similarly, using Time Energy, you coordinate many time disciplines so that you flow through your day, handling disruptions and interruptions with more ease. As with any activity, it requires added focus at first, and becomes more automatic with practice.
Let's compare 2 scenarios
; the first reflects a narrow focus on time management. In the second, you are tapping your Time Energy:
1. The alarm has been ringing for 10 minutes, and you drag yourself out of bed bleary-eyed. As you grab your clothes, you rehearse excuses for why you'll show up late. On your way out the door, you realize that you've forgotten some important papers, and double back. Fuming, you resolve that once you reach your office, you will simply work twice as fast and skip lunch so you can squeeze everything in.
And later, you plan on catching a ride with a friend to a social event. Right now, you feel tired just thinking about it. Your vitality plummets. In trying to work twice as fast, you make a few mistakes and snap at a coworker.
2. In the 2nd scenario, you go to bed the night before just a bit earlier. But that extra 15 minutes or so make all the difference, as you know it generally does. Before bedtime, you place your work papers near the front door, and you get to work on time.
You think of the full schedule you face. Rather than stress, you decide to simplify without sacrificing your lunch or rushing through your day. Tonight, you'll reheat one of your home-made frozen meals.
And rather than ride with your friend, you'll take your own car. That way, you can leave your house a bit later, and can come home early, if you choose. Sure, you'll miss the pleasure of chatting with your friend en route. But on balance, you're effective, energetic, well fed, and you still enjoy your evening.
Which sounds better to you?
In the 2nd example, rather than push yourself by working faster and skipping lunch, you use a handful of simple yet powerful time management techniques throughout the whole day.
The more proactive you are, the more you can fine-tune your plans to remain in balance.
Time Energy offers a lot of advantages:
- Time Energy is like wisdom - you never run out of it.
- Time Energy increases the more you use it.
- Time Energy grows as you know yourself, accept yourself and support yourself. Realism supports success!
- Time Energy is a balancing strategy, not a pressure tactic. Small adjustments can lighten the load better than overextending yourself ever can.
- Time Energy is dynamic and creative. The more time management tips you add to your skill set, the more versatile you become.
Anytime you feel yourself sag during the day, make a note of what is going on. Are you straining to catch up? Are you judging yourself?
The more you use your energy level to monitor your relationship with time, the more opportunities you give yourself to let Time Energy do the heavy lifting.
The result? You will enjoy more energy, more confidence, and more time.
© Copyright, Paula Eder, Ph.D. All rights reserved.