The term “personal brand” means different things to different people. Think of your personal brand as what instantly communicates your personality and your unique value. It’s what sets you apart from everyone else.
Here is where a lot of people get stuck. Everyone tells you that you have to create a unique and compelling brand. And you have probably been trying to figure out what your brand is all about and how you can make it unique and different.
Here’s the truth ….
You are already a brand. And this brand of YOU is 100% unique. You can try all you like, you won’t find anything more unique than YOU! All you need to do is embrace YOU, get clear on your message and learn to communicate that message. That’s what authentic branding is all about.
Here are some success tips to stand out online with your brand and message.
1. Do a Reality Check
- It’s important to understand how you are currently perceived
- Know the real reasons clients work with you – if you don’t know, ask!
- Does your marketing reinforce your uniqueness?
2. Don’t Get Distracted by the Frills
- Your logo, colors, banner, etc. are the visual representation of your brand
- Don’t get caught up on design. Figure out your message first and the emotional connection you want to make with people
- The look and feel of your brand is about communicating that emotional connection and who you are
3. Be Authentic
- Learn from others but don’t get caught up in trying to emulate others or put on a persona. At best you’ll just blend in, at worst you won’t be trusted
- Be fully expressed in what you do and don’t worry about what people will think about you. The right ones will be attracted to you – quirks and all
4. Be Consistent
- Your brand is the sum total of everything you put out in the world – every article you write, video you create, social media profile, etc.
- You want a create an authentic and consistent experience in all your touch points, with the same look and feel on all your online platforms
5. Engage People
- Building a brand is about sharing your message and communications should always be two-way
- Ask questions and invite interaction — through social media, blog posts, emails, etc.
- Don’t shout your message to the world. Engage with people in a meaningful way