Would you prefer to listen to this week’s article? If so, click here to listen.
How confident are you in your business? In your skills?
We recently took one of our dogs to our local veterinarian and he recommended a test for her – one that he felt was outside his specialty.
- He didn’t tell us he’d do the test.
- He didn’t hire someone else to do it as a pass through.
- He did give us 3 referrals, in his order of preference (with a “why” for each) and the exact language to use to get a quick (not “walk-in emergency”) appointment.
Are you that confident in your business?
- Are you happy to refer clients to someone else who can serve them better – whether for a single project or longer-term, regardless of whether or not you receive a referral commission?
- Do you focus on your gifts and either add more training or niche yourself as a specialist or do you act as an authority just to get the client?
- Is “what’s best” for your client/potential client always at the forefront or if they do a consult with you and others and choose someone else, do you feel you “lost” or that someone else “stole” *your* client?
There are several types of confidence and one of them is knowing that you’re great at what you do or. . .if that isn’t yet the case, that you get the training/skillset to make it so.
And, if you are great at what you do, you’re sharing that through a well-planned and implemented marketing strategy.
My Request to You:
Do you have enough confidence in your abilities, and business, to actively refer clients to someone who is better suited, knowing that a more ideal client for you is around the corner?
If not, it’s time to assess your “business assets” – and this is a perfect time of year to do it:
- How do you serve your clients? Can you add to your list of programs, products, and services?
- Do you have a marketing plan in place? Are activities simply plunked in or is there a strategy behind everything?
- What media, besides online, do you use for your business (we use direct mail, fax, online, social media and phone)?
- What was the last training you took? Is it time for another? What subject?
- Do you have a mentor? Do you need one to reach your goals?
Now that you’ve assessed your business assets, what are you going to do next?© Copyright 2013 Sandra P. Martini