Are you a follow through kind of person? Or do you start a bunch of projects and ideas and complete none of them?
Small and solo business owners with 6-figure incomes have learned a secret— they make a lot more money by following through meticulously on their plans, strategies and ideas. It’s easy to do what I call “dream and dabble”. This is where you are very emotionally invested in a dream, but you may lack the confidence or skill you need to actually achieve it. So you dabble at it, but you never get outside your comfort zone.
If you have a dream you need to invest your time, focus and money in achieving it. You need to let the people in your life know that you have made a commitment to it and intend to follow through and that you need their support. Then make a personal commitment to yourself to follow through on every task that will bring in new, ideal clients or will help to generate income, no matter how difficult it is.
Many small business owners, especially start-ups, struggle with this when they realize that they have to get outside their comfort zone in order to make real progress. In my years of experience as a small business coach, these are some of the biggest roadblocks I’ve seen that prevent follow through. Most of them are caused by fear.
- needing to learn a whole new set of skills, like technical skills, marketing skills, or how to run a business in order to make progress
- needing to invest money in your business even though it’s a risk
- needing to work harder or change your routine when you don’t have guaranteed results
- needing to promote yourself confidently when speaking to prospects, when it makes you uncomfortable
- having to close the sale
- having to create and implement a system(s) that will get you organized so you don’t get too overwhelmed or distracted to follow through
- lack of regular strategic planning- being disorganized makes it easy to forget to follow through
- inability to prioritize- how you can you follow through on what’s important when you’re not sure what that is?
I’ve seen many talented, hard working people remain stuck simply because they couldn’t follow through with the most important money making tasks and ideas. So what can you do to remove this roadblock?
Answer this question. What are the top 3 things I need to do or learn right now to make more money? Be honest with yourself.
Now commit to following through on JUST those 3 things for the next month. Don’t worry about anything else, unless it’s servicing clients. If you need help, work on getting it and don’t stop until you do. If you need to invest in yourself and your business, go past your fear and find a way to do it. Then do it. If you need to master online marketing or improve your website, get it done in the next month. Don’t allow yourself to get distracted by anything or anyone. And better yet, see if you can recruit an accountability buddy who will help keep you on track. Of course, if you have a good coach, you’re set!
At the end of the month, see where you are. Assess where you succeeded and where you dropped the ball. Make some adjustments and do it again for another month. In six months you will have made the transition from dabbling to making your dream a reality.© Copyright 2010 Janis Pettit