Learn about the “3 Stages of Business” and how to know where you are and what to do in in the beginning stages of business.
The 3 Stages of Business:
- Foundation and Get Clients: Your focus is to generate revenue and get clients while you’re building the visibility and credibility foundation of your business.
- Add Leverage: Now that you have several clients, it’s time to build in some leverage so you’re not doing everything all the time.
- Increase Profits: You have a pipeline of clients, you’ve incorporated some leverage into your business and now your focus is on increasing profits and truly making your business hum.
Sounds simple, right?
The issue is that so many business owners jump to Stage 2 or 3 without either building a Foundation or Getting Clients.
How many colleagues do you know who “want a membership program” and try launching one when their last several programs didn’t fill or they announce a product and have very few sales?
My guess is “too many” and it’s because they ignore the Foundation and 1st Stage of their business.
What often happens is that Stage 1 business owners want to achieve success quickly – become profitable, earn 6 figures, host a high level program or offer high level consulting services, all when no one knows who they are or whether they’re even going to stay around.
Stage 1 business owners are often easily seduced by those who cater to opportunity seekers – simply because you’re so anxious to generate revenue. As a result, you end up in debt with very little to show for it.
A Stage 1 business owner is defined as someone who needs clients. Period.
If you’re wondering, or worried, about where your next client (or mortgage payment) is coming from, you’re currently in Stage 1.
My Request to You:
As a Stage 1 business owner whose primary business responsibility is to Increase Visibility & Credibility AND Get Clients, you want to spend a minimum of 50% of your “working” hours on Marketing & Visibility activities. What are marketing and visibility activities?
- Consistently sending out an ezine
- Hosting free teleseminars/webcasts
- Participating in telesummits Being a guest on others’ teleseminars
- Speaking at events Website “free taste” or giveaway
- Sponsorships – getting and giving
- Posting and sharing videos
- Consistently participating in social media
- Consistently “contacting” your readers so you remain top of mind
- Article marketing
- Consistently posting to your blog
- In person networking
- Online forums
- Attending events
- Picking up the phone and calling
- Press releases
- Guest blogging on others’ sites
- Posting and sharing audio newsletters
- Hosting/Being a guest on radio shows
- Sending snail mail gifts, cards, lumpy mail
And SO much more. . .
Now, before you go deep into “Too Much To Do” overwhelm, let me stop you and say, you don’t need to do all of the above. In fact, you shouldn’t even try to do them all.
Pick no more than 3 things which resonate with you AND your ideal clients and do them CONSISTENTLY. Once you have those nailed down, add something else.
It’s about consistently layering things on. It is not about burying yourself in overwhelm trying to be all things to everyone in the visibility world. Remember…
Ordinary Things, Done Consistently, Create Extraordinary and Consistent Results© Copyright 2013 Sandra P. Martini