If you’d like to listen to this month’s tips, just click here.
In our last issue, we discussed how killer time lies trick you into neglecting your proactive power. We’ll revisit the killer time lie we discussed in our last issue and use it as an example, as we examine 3 tips to help you dispel those distortions.
Tip #1: Exposing false assumptions energizes you and boosts your confidence.
Lie: “I’ll Never Have Enough Time to Live Well!”
Now, “I’ll Never Have Enough Time to Live Well!” may feel real. Believing it might even create a self-fulfilling prophecy by generating a feeling of helplessness. But is it really true? Or is this more like a confounding web of unquestioned expectations hanging between you and your limitless potential?
To start untangling these webs it’s helpful to identify distortions you may tell yourself, for example:
- “I can’t develop new time skills.”
- “Living well takes way more time than I have.”
- “The quality of my choices doesn’t affect the quality of my life.”
By shining a light on distorted thinking, you begin to see the holes in time lies and diminish their power.
Tip #2: Dive Beneath This Script to Consult Your Heart’s Wisdom.
As you see, unexamined assumptions keep you trapped. To open possibilities, ask your wise heart for insights. Explore how you fundamentally experience time and true contentment.
- What does “having enough time” feel like? Describe it in detail.
- What makes those special times unique?
- To create more special times, what would you need to change?
Tip #3: Turn This Killer Time Lie Inside Out.
When you travel in circles, caught in a mind rut, consider this: expressing the opposite sentiment often stimulates creative and analytical thinking. You might ask yourself:
- What is the exact opposite of your killer time lie?
- What changes when you speak your fresh ideas out loud?
- How do you feel when you envision yourself living in a way that boldly contradicts your time lie? And what does this tell you?
When you catch your distortions and tap into your heart’s wisdom, your killer time lies lose their ability to undermine you and sap your potential. So step into your own proactive power today!© Copyright 2012 Paula Eder, Ph.D.