Time management tips are about becoming productive, not staying busy. This quiz shows you how to tell the difference and successfully fight the hurry habit.
Making this shift requires that your time choices align with your head and your heart. Once you choose self-reference over being ruled by others’ expectations of you, you’ll start growing into your power.
So, what percentage of your time are you simply busying yourself? How can you be genuinely productive? Following this simple quiz, you will find guidelines.
Are You Busy or Productive?
1. T___ F___ I spend most of my day feeling stressed.
2. T___ F___ I feel like I’m chasing time as soon as I hit the floor.
3. T___ F___ I find my schedule overwhelming more often than not.
4. T___ F___ When I find myself rushed, I slow down.
5. T___ F___ As soon as my day gets complicated I go into coping mode.
6. T___ F___ When my day speeds up, I know how to simplify.
7. T___ F___ If I accomplish 5 high-priority tasks, I’ve had a good day.
8. T___ F___ When I lose myself in my work, I feel refreshed.
9. T___ F___ When I realize I’m not being productive, I feel awful.
10. T___ F___ Before I act, I plan.
Use Your Answers To Liberate Yourself
There are no wrong answers to this quiz. Your responses simply provide you with insights that you can use to correct your course.
Any time you answer ‘True’ to Items 1, 2, 3, 5 and 9, you are not fully rewarded for the effort you expend. Here are some helpful guidelines:
- Stress is an important signal to slow down and look inward.
- The only time you have is now. Don’t chase time – focus instead.
- You shape your life, your schedule and your pace. Balance, simplify, and accept consequences to free yourself.
- When you truly own your life and your goals, your work enlarges you.
- Valuing yourself helps you embrace lessons and grow, not judge.
Exploring Your Potential
Any time you answer ‘True’ to Items 4, 6, 7, 8, and 10, you are centered in intentionality and growing in productivity. Lessons to build on are:
- Power over your time and power over your life are inseparable.
- Making time to plan gives you time to be productive.
- Self-loyalty and self-care support a well-structured life.
To Walk Your Path of Power, Relax Out of Busyness.
You may feel you have forged an identity out of keeping busy. And others may reward you. Even though relaxing out of busyness frees you to be productive, this may be a difficult change to maintain. Ask yourself what motivates you. What space inside does your busyness fill? It takes discipline to slow down when feeling overwhelmed. It’s a kindness to yourself to take a deep breath and assume full ownership of your time. When you do this, you assert that you, alone, are in charge of your life.
So expand thoughtfully into your quiet moments. Grow beyond busyness by catching yourself as you rush. Slow down. Stretch. As you open space to define your true intention, you create a new way to live as well.© Copyright 2013 Paula Eder, Ph.D.