Although I do so much more than PR, many of you know that publicity is my bread and butter. It’s how I made a name for myself.
So it comes as no surprise that I’m told, “I would love to get some great publicity, but I think it’s too hard.”
Well, there IS some work involved, but it’s not difficult!
After all, publicity is the act of relaying crafted messages to target markets with the intent of influencing them. It happens to you each day. And you do it each day, too.
In my world, it’s simple to catch a glimpse of how publicity and public relations operate.
No, it’s not because I’m already in the PR business. My twin daughters, who are in kindergarten, are great examples of how PR and publicity work every day.
“Mommy, look at my drawing!” And of course, not only do I look at it, but sing its praises it and tell her dad about it too.
Get it?? Publicity in action.
If you don’t think you’re prepared for publicity, how about taking a few tips and ideas from my girls, Lyra and Sasha:
1. Toot your own horn. If you want visibility, you’ve got to tell your prospects. Good deeds (and good work) often go overlooked otherwise. When Lyra finishes her stuffed toy arrangement, she needs to let us know, otherwise it’s just been a stack of stuffed animals to us.
2. Dress your part. Playing dress up is a fun game that boosts energy and creativity. Sometimes dressing up is sufficient to get you going and feeling like you really ARE someone.
3. Reach out to others. Sasha always says hi and hugs people she meets. Good PR is all in the relationships, so pick up the phone and connect. (Hugging isn’t always necessary, but also nice once in a while!)
4. Silence is not golden. In our home, it often means something big is brewing and strife is near. So don’t be quiet; speak your mind, as it often gets people talking more – which adds to your visibility.
5. Sharing is not optional. We all know someone who just takes and takes and takes. And no one wants to play with a taker. Share your experience and ideas, and you will become known, credible and approachable.
© Copyright 2012 TextOnly'Admin