Whether you are nurturing a business, career, a family, an intimate relationship, or a secret dream, your time and energy are the most valuable commodities you possess. No matter how wisely you spend them, the truth is that they are limited in supply and are extremely precious.
Another truth: productivity and energy both depend on your providing the right fuel. Just like a car, when we aren’t fueled and properly maintained, we don’t run very well. When we don’t give ourselves the care that allow us to be at our best—we simply aren’t our best. We don’t perform at our highest potential, we don’t have our best gifts to give to others, and we simply don’t feel as good as we should. We don’t shine anymore.
We all need quality fuel (and I’m talking about a lot more than just food) to fuel the full, vibrant, unique life that we all want to live. Fueling doesn’t have to be difficult or radical.
Here are some simple steps to nurture yourself so that you are well-fueled for all the accomplishments you want to achieve during your life time:
1. Take five minutes everyday to check-in with yourself.
2. Learn to rest when you are tired.
3. Do one loving thing for yourself every day.
4. Start utilizing your energy boosters (e.g. deep breathing, a 20 minute nap, a ten minute break, or a protein drink).
5. Hug someone you love everyday.
6. Spend a few minutes outdoors enjoying God’s precious gifts.
My request: try several of these steps, find other things that work for you and add them to your list, then repeat, repeat, repeat. The real key is getting into the rhythm of paying attention to your fueling level and learning the tricks and strategies that keep you fueled, happy, and thriving.
© Copyright 2012 Laureen Wishom