This evening I came up with a fun little exercise that was very revealing. I made a list of all the people who have impacted my life. Out to the right of each name, I jotted down the main way(s) each person affected me. As I did so, I saw a definite pattern. I went back to childhood, forward through time, and found the people I love, respect and value have come into my life for one or more of the following reasons:
- To encourage me to believe in myself and my gifts (10 people)
- To help me develop skills (6 people)
- To facilitate spiritual growth or act as spiritual mentors (6 people)
- To help me learn to enjoy life and enjoy the journey (5 people)
- To help me gain clarity and focus and/or getting things done (5 people)
- To teach me universal laws (2 people)
Several people served more than one role, but in all, these 21 people have made me who I am. As I looked at the list and the number of people sent in each area, I thought it very revealing. Look at how many people have been sent to help me believe in myself. Either it’s very important that I believe in myself or I’m weak in that area. Most likely it’s a combination of both. I think we all need people who see our gifts, believe in us, and encourage us along the way.
I’m so grateful that God has sent me just the right people to help me progress. They have been and will continue to be priceless treasures in my life. So now it’s your turn. Try writing down the people who have impacted your life and how they have done so. I’d be curious to hear your results. Let me know!
© Copyright 2009 Marnie L Pehrson